Florida Safety Council & Florida Virtual School
The Florida Safety Council and Florida Virtual School are proud to announce an exciting program, FREE Driver Education, for all Florida Orange and Florida Polk Counties teenagers. Utilizing funds made available by the Dori Slosberg Driver Education Act, The Florida Safety Council and Florida Virtual School are offering this program, which includes virtual classroom training and Behind the Wheel Driving Lessons, free of charge.
Note: Each student must successfully complete the Florida Virtual School Online Driver Education Course before their free Behind the Wheel Driving Lessons from the Florida Safety Council. This program is available to all teenage students who are residents of Orange & Polk Counties, including those who participate in public, private, and home school programs.
The Driver Education course includes:
- Six hours of Behind the Wheel Training
- Six hours of "in car" observation (optional)
- Driving lessons conducted on actual Florida roads and highways
- Online classroom training
- Class credit awarded upon completion
- A certificate upon completion.
Please follow these steps to register and complete your free Driver Education course:
Steps (1 - 5)
- Log on to the Florida Virtual School website (http://melearning.flvs.net/drivers-ed/) and register for the Driver Education Program.
- Successfully complete the Florida Virtual School Online Driver Education Course.
- Obtain Learners License from the local D.H.S.M.V. Office.
- The Florida Safety Council will call to schedule driving lessons after the notification from FLVS of the student's successful completion of the Florida Virtual School Online Driver Education Course.
- After successful completion of the Behind the Wheel Driving Lessons, a certificate of completion will be issued. Providing that the student is at least 16 years of age, they may schedule the road test portion of the course. Students younger than 16 years of age will need to wait until their 16 birthday to apply for the license.
- Each student must successfully complete the Florida Virtual School Online Driver Education Course before receiving their free Behind the Wheel Driving Lessons from the Florida Safety Council.
- Each student must possess a valid Florida Driver License Learners License before enrolling into the Behind the Wheel portion of the Driver Education course. This permit must be presented at each Behind the Wheel Driving Lesson.
- Each student must reside in Orange or Polk County, Florida in order to be eligible for the free Behind the Wheel Driving lessons.
- Each student must attend all scheduled driving lessons. Missing a scheduled lesson will result in rescheduling fees, which must be paid by the parent or legal guardian. Any lessons that are missed and not rescheduled will result in a failure to complete the program and a forfeiture of class credit.
- Each student will be required to be on time for each lesson. Lateness exceeding five minutes of the original scheduled lesson will be considered a "no show" and will become subject to rescheduling fees and a delay in the completion of the course.
- Each student must wear proper attire to each of their scheduled driving lessons. In addition to school dress code, proper attire includes:
Orange County students must be registered in an Orange County public, private, or home school in order to qualify for the training. An Orange County resident who attends school in another county does not qualify. Polk County students must have completed the FLVS Driver’s Ed course on or after October 1st, 2011 to qualify for the training
- Closed toe footwear. (No flip flops, sandals, or bare feet)
- Appropriate length shorts or skirt or long pants (no shorts or skirts that are shorter than 4 inches above the knee)
- Proper blouse or shirt. (No revealing tops, shirts or blouses)
Please click on the link provided to begin the registration process for the Florida Virtual School online Driver Education course. After completing the online portion of the course, you will be contacted by the Florida Safety Council to schedule your Behind the Wheel Driving Lessons.See if you qualify.